Real Madrid vs. Panathinaikos Superfoods Athens
· Despite their title-laden pasts, before this season these teams had never met at the Final Four or in the playoffs this century. Entering Game 3, their clashes since 2000 have been split with 10 wins apiece this century.
· In Game 1 of this series, Panathinaikos routed Real Madrid 95-67 as Mike James posted a personal playoff-high of 24 points and 8 assists and Nick Calathes had 11 points, a playoff-record 16 assists and 6 rebounds.
· In Game 2, Real Madrid bounced back as Felipe Reyes scored 18 points in 17 minutes and Jaycee Carroll netted 17, both off the bench. James scored 20 for Panathinaikos.
· Madrid and Panathinaikos split regular season wins this season. The Greens rallied from a 16-point, second-half deficit in Round 9 for 82-80 win behind 20 points from former Madrid swingman K.C. Rivers. In Round 25, Madrid beat Panathinaikos 92-75 in the Spanish capital as Fabien Causeur paced the winners with 26 points to earn MVP of the Round honors with a PIR of 29.
· Chris Singleton of Panathinaikos was a teammate of Real Madrid’s Anthony Randolph at Lokomotiv Kuban Krasnodar during the 2015-16 season. They reached the EuroLeague Final Four together.
· K.C. Rivers had two stints with Madrid. His first was in the 2014-15 season and he returned for the second part of last season. Rivers helped the team win the 2015 EuroLeague title and has been a teammate of much of the current Madrid roster.
· Injured Madrid big man Ognjen Kuzmic made his Turkish Airlines EuroLeague debut in 2015-16 with Panathinaikos. He was a teammate of three players on Greens’ current roster: Nikos Pappas, James Gist and Nick Calathes.
· Kuzmic posted a total of 29 rebounds in his only two games against Panathinaikos, both playing for Crvena Zvezda mts Belgrade in 2016-17 season; he grabbed a career-high 15 rebounds in the first game and 14 rebounds in the second game.
· Reigning EuroLeague MVP Sergio Llull posted his career-high in points with 30 when Real Madrid edged Panathinaikos 87-84 in November of last season.
· EuroLeague rookie Walter Tavares matched his season-best with 14 points in a Round 25 win over Panathinaikos.
· In Game 1 on Tuesday, Nick Calathes set career-highs with 16 assists, and also broke a EuroLeague Playoffs record.