The countdown is on for the start of the 2019-20 Turkish Airlines EuroLeague season on October 3! The new EuroLeague season once again promises great matchups, week in and week out, but also more teams and games to enjoy than ever before in European club basketball. Season-long drama is in store, that's for certain. Just check out the matchups in Round 10!
Coach Tomic’s revenge
· Zvezda head coach Milan Tomic played with Olympiacos against Zalgiris in the 1999 EuroLeague semifinals. Zalgiris downed Olympiacos 87-71 en route to winning the title.
Reds' perfect record on the line
· Olympiacos is 4-0 against ALBA in the EuroLeague this century, but the two teams have not faced each other since 2004.
Duel of EuroCup giants
· Khimki and Valencia have faced off 13 times so far this decade; 11 of those have come in the EuroCup, including the 2012 title game, which Khimki won 77-68 to lift the crown. Two current Khimki players, Sergey Monia and Egor Vialtsev, played on the winning team. Khimki point guard Stefan Markovic played for Valencia in that game.
Mambo No. 5
· This will be only the fifth game ever between these two teams. The home team has won each of the previous four.
· Milan and Efes have played each other at least twice in each of the past seven seasons. Efes holds an 18-8 edge in games this century, but the home teams have won the last nine games between them. Last year in Milan, Mike James hit a three-pointer with a second left to lift Milan to an 81-80 victory. Efes returned the "favor" in Round 30, rallying from a double-digit third-quarter deficit to register a 101-95 win, which denied Milan a place in the playoffs.
The first time in a decade
· The last time ASVEL played in the EuroLeague, in the 2009-10 season, it split road wins against Fenerbahce. When Fenerbahce played at ASVEL, it scored a 76-78 overtime road win. That game was more than a decade ago, on October 28, 2009.
· Barcelona held Maccabi to a season-low 58 points an a 16-point home victory in Round 5 last season. Victor Claver shined with 14 points plus 7 rebounds and Ante Tomic added 12 points and 8 rebounds, including 7 on the offensive glass.
A tough trip for Zenit
· This will be the first-ever meeting between these teams. Zenit is 1-4 in previous trips to Spain, all in the EuroCup. It defeated UCAM Murcia in the 2016-17 regular season and has lost to Valencia Basket, MoraBanc Andorra, Unicaja Malaga and Herbalife Gran Canaria in previous seasons.
Rudy’s big games
· Former All-EuroLeague forward Rudy Fernandez had some of his best games on his home floor for Real against CSKA. He collected a career-best 13 rebounds against CSKA in January 2013 and set a career-high with 28 points in March 2014. He earned MVP of the Round honors in each of those games.